The dredge of memes and articles about “blessed unicorn she-girlfriends who play video games” is a NSFW hell for people who still grasp tightly to the concept that “women are people who play games,” or even more factual and terrifying, that 45% of gamers are women. Even when written positively, i.e., “I’m so happy that my girlfriend plays games,” it still smacks of a Stepford Wives barfy-Mc-barf inducing dream nurtured in the sexist narrative of “I need to find a girlfriend who isn’t like a girl.” How rare and special it must be when your hobbies are not only approved of by the opposite gender, but they float down from the mall and throw aside their makeup baggy and condescend to play a few hours of Red Dead Redemption.
Case and point, this humiliatingly stupid article called "Get Your Girlfriend Gaming" by James Wolman.
Actual quote from this article: "So, ma’am, if you’re reading this, you owe it to yourself and your gender to give it a try. You might just love it."
You’re right. The hostile gaming environment, male-based marketing, social perception, and constant barrage of “you’re not a real gamer” is all a ruse! All “my gender” needs is to do is give it the old razzle dazzle and POOF! We can all play Halo now with nary a sandwich joke.
This article is inane and obnoxious and needs to be stopped for a few reasons:
1. There isn’t an “inner gamer” waiting for a Prince-like boyfriend to be awakened in girls. We either want to play video games or we do not.
2. Having a girlfriend who plays video games does not make her better/worse than other females. It is a gender-neutral activity.
3. Girls already play video games. They are just hiding from people like this author.
4. This argument is a crappy one for all people, all hobbies, and all relationships. “How to Teach Your Boyfriend to Get into Pinterest and Make You All of Those Rainbow Cakes You’ve Been Craving.”
5. This quote: "At some point, our attention is wrenched away from our beloved video games by the demand of our designated female partner. But don’t count your chickens just yet – she’s merely a dormant Stage One gamer, tching to be beckoned towards the virtual light of the gamerverse. She just doesn’t know it yet."
GOD FORBID attention is wrenched away from activities by a relationship. Easy fix? Force your loved ones to engage in an activity they may have little to no interest in so you can have your cake and eat it because you basically have two cakes.
So everyone, go out there and be the knight of your girlfriend’s “inner gamer.” Make sure you craft the personality and interests of the person you are dating. And if you are dating a girl who games, thank sweet Baby Jesus every night because finding a girl who can stand even five seconds of Super Mario Bros. without a boy guiding her through it has a genetic mutation and could probably spontaneously combust.
(Source link to article)